Browse Category

Motorcycles Brands

Jawa logo

 

Download Logo Vector: Confederate Motors logo vector

František Janeček, an engineer who has laid foundation of Jawa, had begun his activity from purchasing the German bike business, the company called “Wanderer”. So, that`s how the name of the freshly minted brand was born – by joining the two first parts of the names: Janeček + Wanderer = Jawa. 

After the end of the First World War, the world`s weaponry factories had witnessed the increasing demand on the everyday machinery and vehicles. 

Janeček knew that to fulfill the society`s demand, the factories must launch the massive production of a lightweight and economical bike. 

In 1933 such vehicle was manufactured and became extremely popular in Czechoslovakia. The model was entitled Jawa 175, with 175 Villiers 2-stroke engine. Later then the company rolled out its Jawa 350 SV. 

The outbreak of the Second World War put true Jawa manufacture on hold, forcing it to produce armaments for Nazi alliance, as Czechoslovakia was occupied. 

Soon Janeček`s son Karel assumed the management of the company, giving the father`s design further development. 

In 1946 Jawa Perak won a gold medal at Paris Motor Show. 

When Czechoslovakia went under the Communists control, Jawa intensively became exporting the production to the third world countries. 

Later, in 60-s and 70-s, due to its success in motor racing, Jawa launched export to 120 countries across the whole world. Around this era of company`s history, was born the brand Ideal Jawa, which began importing the bikes into India, after having recognized high demand of such production on the territory. There also was established a factory of Ideal Jawa. 

Nowadays Jawa motorcycles are still being produced in few parts of Europe.

 

Java logo

Dnepr logo

Dnepr logo

 

Download Logo Vector: Confederate Motors logo vector

The newborn brand Dnepr pioneered its production line in Kiev in 1946, with a 98 cc two-stroke model, which was a confiscation from the German company as a reparation deliveries. 

The design of KMZ heavy motorcycles was copied from the German BMW bike R71, that was produced before the 2 World War and USSR licensed it in 1940. All the necessary contrivances for production of M-72 (the Soviet variation of the BMW R71) was delivered from the factory of the city of Gorkiy (now Nizhniy Novgorod)  in 1949. The first range of M-72 bikes was rolled out in 1952. 

In 1964, KMZ highlighted a military model of motorcycle, the MV-750.
In 1967, as a commemoration the 50th Anniversary of the Great October Socialist Revolution, the factory produced the first OHV engine in the model “Dnepr” K-650. Then Dnepr K-650 was obscured by model MT-9 650 cc, which was produced either in solo and sidecar variations. This model contained a new transmission with reverse gear and an automatic declutching mechanism embedded in the riders foot pedal. 

In the 1973-79 time interval Dnepr had become the product marketed by Satra company in the UK as Cossack motorcycles.

When USSR ceased to exist, the factory began entering its downfall period. The shop selling Dnepr products, were closed over the whole country. Ultimately, Dnepr was forced to sell the production tools and plans to China.

 

Dnepr logo

Minsk logo

Minsk logo

 

Download Logo Vector: Confederate Motors logo vector

Second World War reparations from Germany made a basis on which have been built the motorcycle brand Minsk. The theory and contrivance, transferred from German DKW factory were this very basis by means of which in Moscow was produced M1A model. 

In July of 1951 the manufacture of M1A motorcycle was transferred to the Minsk Motorcycle and Bicycle plant.

Bikes, produced by brand Minsk, were quickly gaining popularity in USSR and in other countries as well. Minsk produced around 7 million models bought all over the world. 

Minsk bikes were active competitors of motor racing events, one of the most remarkable rallies of those times were Brest-Vladivistok (1971) and Minsk-Pamir (1969). 

Then USSR introduces a new code name system and a new model MMVZ-3.11 receives the State Quality Mark of the USSR. Also Minsk bikes have deserved a cult status in Vietnam, where in 1988 was organized even a fan club of people, who favoured Minsk bikes. 

In 1999 Minsk was given the Arch of Europe award as the production of the brand was approved on the international market. 

In 2007, Minsk turned into Motovelo, was already a private firm. Motovelo began manufacturing scooters, snowmobiles and touring bikes. 

In 2010 the company obtained a new logo along with a new signature – M1NSK, which echoes the great past of the USSR brand.

 

Minsk logo

Ural logo

Ural logo

 

Download Logo Vector: Confederate Motors logo vector

IMZ Ural is a Russian manufacturer of heavy motorcycles with sidecars. The abbreviation IMZ stands for Russian “Irbitskiy Mototsikletniy Zavod”, in English it would be translated this way: “Motorcycle Factory of Irbit”. Irbit is the old town in Russia nearby the Ural mountains.

Ural was originated in 1941, immediately after Soviet Union had witnessed what was happened during German Blitzkrieg in polish territories. Soviet Union needed a military vehicle, which could perfectly stand in the attacks of tanks and infantry, which would be a great support for Soviet ground forces. So, the Soviet engineers designed Dnepr M-72, the work on which started from detailed exploration of German BMW R71. 

Soon the Motorcycle Branch of Moscow industry manufactured hundreds of M-72. As the Soviet politicians were afraid that the motorcycle factory would be bombed by the rising German army, they decided to remove the motorcycle plant in the far Ural region. And already in October 1942, a huge batch of M-72 was directed to the war front. Throughout the 4 years of Second World War IMZ Ural produced around 10 000 sidecar motorcycles.

In 1950, as IMZ Ural was essentially expanded, it produced 30 000 motorcycles.

Thus, few years later, began a full non-military manufacture of Ural bikes. In 1957 the production lines of M-72 were sold to China.

A new history of the brand began when it transformed into an open-end jsc “Uralmoto”. In 2000 “Uralmoto” was reorganized and the shares of the government were redistributed to investors. 

Nowadays “Uralmoto” JSC exports its production to many countries of Western Europe, also to Egypt, Iran, South America and South Africa. Since the time of its foundation in 1941, brand Ural sold more than 3 million units.

 

Ural logo

 

 

Vyrus logo

Vyrus logo

 

Download Logo Vector: Confederate Motors logo vector

Vyrus has been laid its foundation in 2001, appearing as a branch of evolutionary development of “Tesi” – a bike of Bimota, the company alongside which Vyrus worked. “Tesi” is translated as “Thesis” from Italian. This model started as a project, engineered by a university connected with Massimo Tamburini. The Tesi can be easily recognized by its basic distinguishing feature: hub-center steering front suspension configuring. 

Vyrus manufactured 4 models: 984C3 2V (100 bhp), 985 C3 4V (155 bhp), 987 C3 4V (184 bhp), 987 C3 4VV (211 bhp).

Vyrus is a not huge manufacturer, preserving an approach of exclusiveness: not a single individual motorcycle is built with the same design or features. The parts of a high quality and limited manufacture what means all the bikes, produced by Vyrus are expensive: the lowest price of Vyrus motorcycle is $60 000.

In 2011 Vyrus was seriously interested in Moto2 Category. The company offered three variations, which were based on Honda engine. Unfortunately, the venture investors were not found and, thus, the company had to sell off the prototypes already in 2012.

Then the brand produced few models of pocket bikes with a 2-stroke cc. The full name of a new model is MiniVyrus 07 EV.

 

Vyrus logo

Triton logo

Triton logo

Download Logo Vector: Confederate Motors logo vector

The name of the brand itself was assembled from the word Triumph and the surname Norton, also Triton is the name of the god from the ancient Greek pantheon. 

Triton is the marque of “hybrid” bikes, manufactured in the 60-s and 70-s, which contained Norton frames and Triumph engines. The motorcycles were mostly the products of private work with no factory engaged. 

Type of Triumph engines just once were found as a mere substitution of Norton 750 and 650 twin engines, because the latter type was proven as less reliable. 

Tritons, containing pre-unit Triumph motor, in a certain range of cases contained also the post-1960 Norton gearbox, which was considered more reliable than its Triumph equivalent. Also sometimes were set Quaife 5-speed gearboxes.

The Triton had become the most widely spread type of a hybrid bike, but the second had become the model called Tribsa, containing BSA frame and Triumph engine.

Triton logo

Sanglas logo

Sanglas logo

 

Download Logo Vector: Confederate Motors logo vector

The foundation of Sanglas has been officially laid in 1942, but as a mere formality, Sanglas began to sell its bikes 5 years later, as their formal sales show. The owners of this company are two students: Martin and Javier Sanglas. Their father had a textile manufacture, so he helped a lot the men with their endeavor.

By 1948, Sanglas already had produced 200 units, which was the result of the work of 100 employees. The first remarkable Sanglas model, 500 cc, was rolled out in 1952, it had a renovated rear chassis and two hydraulic shock absorbers. 

Sanglas production was primarily aimed at its functioning in the sphere of tourism and long distance travelling. 

In 1957 the company highlighted a renewed variation of the mountain motorcycle, Montana II, which delivered 25 HP and had a high torque value. 

In the end of 1950-s was a motorcycle and scooter glut and a lot of factories went on reducing the displacement of the vehicles. It resulted in appearing of a new model “Chromatica” in the market. Its features: 295 cc, 13 HP and 6 thousands rpm. 

In 1964 the 4-stroke engine model entitled 400T was highlighted at the Fire of Barcelone. This model was immediately destined to become a kind of a standard of comparison to the whole next models of the whole further Sanglas existence. 

In 1976 was rolled out 500S, containing onboard disc brakes and featuring 32 HP at 6700 rpm. A year later the market highlighted a new 500 S2 bike, though Prodinsa investment decided to sell the company to the bank of Spain with the intention of the further monetary gains after selling Sanglas to some of the Japanese manufacturers. 

In 1981 was formed a new company called SEMSA, which allied forces of Banesto, Yamaha, Catalan Development Bank and Bank of Madrid. 8 years later SEMSA ceased to exist, thus, standing down to the benefit of the newly-minted Yamaha Engine Spain.

 

Sanglas logo

SYM logo

Sym logo

 

Download Logo Vector: Confederate Motors logo vector

Sanyang Motor Co, Ltd was launched as a company, producing bicycle dynamoelectric light sets. In 1961 Sanyang sign an agreement with Honda, to pioneer in motorcycle assembly in Taiwan. However, this companionship was ended as the products of the brands began a serious competition in the markets worldwide. 

Afterwards, Sanyang (SYM), entered in a partnership with Hyundai, which was aimed at work on the Taiwanese market. 

The headquarters of Sanyang is located in Hsinchu, Taiwan, and all the two-wheeled production are sold under the brand name SYM. 

In 2002 in USA appeared SYM scooters, by the efforts of Florida grey market importer. 

2003 was marked by the decision of an official importer to begin selling in Puerto Rico and SouthEast. In 2004, after the failure of negotiations with Tomos USA, SYM decided to collaborate with Carter Brothers Mfg, aiming at the extension to the US sales. However, the US partner abandoned the distribution on SYM scooters across US, and as an alternative, they offered SYM an assistance in go-kart aftermarket development. 

In 2005 the company started manufacture of a new line of two-wheelers for the market of Europe. This line included MIO (50 & 100 cc) and GTS scooters (125, 200 & 250 cc). 

In summer of 2010 Carter Brothers suffered from the massive fire in the main warehouse and already in 2011 they announced in their blog that they terminate the partnership with SYM in April.

 

Sym logo

Rieju logo

Rieju logo

Download Logo Vector: Confederate Motors logo vector

Rieju started in 1934 as a firm, producing bicycle accessories. The foundation was laid by two entrepreneurs – Jaime Juanola Farrés & Luis Riera Carré, so it may be clearly seen where from comes the name of the company – its the first letters of the surnames of the owners.

Soon the entrepreneurs acquired the land property and began building their factory. However, the work was broken off because of the Civil War in Spain.  As the result, The Republican Government grabbed the unfinished construction and started using it as a truck depot. The next factory was constructed above the existing premises during the war in requital as a payment of interests after the return of the facilities.

Only in 1940, after the end of the war, Rieju continued producing accessories for bicycles.

1942 was marked by the establishment of Rieju as a company limited by shares. The capital of the company makes up 1 mln pesetas to the moment and it began producing its first bicycle models

In 1947 the company designed their first moped, which was basically made out of Rieju bicycle with the 38 cc four-stroke engine. In the further manufacture of this type of vehicle Reiju will give them a more motorcycle-alike appearance. 

In 1964 Rieju signed an agreement with Minarelli, that permits them to launch the new “Jaca” model, having 70 km/h top speed.

In 1947 Rieju failed in developing of a project of a moped with automatic transmission.

The 70-s and 80-s gone by, masterfully consolidating the position of Reiju among the top Spanish manufacturers. 

1994 was the starting year of the Reiju export in Europe, and 12 years later export will s represent around 60% of their sales.

 

Rieju logo

Royal Enfield logo

royal enfield logo

 

Download Logo Vector: Confederate Motors logo vector

The actual history of the Royal Enfield has begun with the production of its first motorcycle in 1901, which was designed by Bob Walker Smith and Jules Gotiet. In those times motorcycles were much of a bicycle frame. In 1909 first company`s V-Twin model achieves huge success in competitions. 

During the First World War, in 1914, Royal Enfield massively supplies its bikes to French, Belgian, British, American and Russian armies. 

Then the most remarkable period of Royal Enfield history began in 1932, when the company rolled out its “Bullet” which was destined to become a legendary vehicle. There were manufactured 3 versions: 250, 350 and 500 cc. 

In 1933 Bob Walker passed away and Major Frank Smith (his son) takes the control over Royal Enfield. 

During the Second World War Royal Enfield also began a massive manufacture of military bikes, the most famous of which is 125-cc Airborne.

In 1955 “Enfield India” was formed, which produced 163 models of Enfield India Bullets the next year. And in 1977 this branch began exporting the 350 cc Bullets to the markets of United Kingdom and Europe. 

In 1989 Royal Enfield rolled out 24 bhp 500 cc Bullet model which was mostly for export.

In 1993 Enfield India manufactures Enfield`s first diesel bike, aimed at massive production. The Eicher Group purchases Enfield India a year later. 

In 2001 an Indian bike display team forms a 201 motorcyclist pyramid. The base of pyramid is 10 350 cc Bullets. 

2011 was remarkable for the “One Ride Event”, that becomes an annual posteriority.

2014 was the year of the company’s introduction of a gear store in New Delhi.

In 2015 Royal Enfield purchased British “Harris Performance”, a bike design and fabrication company and later this year Royal Enfield branch in North America was launched.

 

royal enfield logo