|Information about the company Dnepr|
The newborn brand Dnepr pioneered its production line in Kiev in 1946, with a 98 cc two-stroke model, which was a confiscation from the German company as a reparation deliveries.
The design of KMZ heavy motorcycles was copied from the German BMW bike R71, that was produced before the 2 World War and USSR licensed it in 1940. All the necessary contrivances for production of M-72 (the Soviet variation of the BMW R71) was delivered from the factory of the city of Gorkiy (now Nizhniy Novgorod) in 1949. The first range of M-72 bikes was rolled out in 1952.
In 1964, KMZ highlighted a military model of motorcycle, the MV-750.
In 1967, as a commemoration the 50th Anniversary of the Great October Socialist Revolution, the factory produced the first OHV engine in the model “Dnepr” K-650. Then Dnepr K-650 was obscured by model MT-9 650 cc, which was produced either in solo and sidecar variations. This model contained a new transmission with reverse gear and an automatic declutching mechanism embedded in the riders foot pedal.
In the 1973-79 time interval Dnepr had become the product marketed by Satra company in the UK as Cossack motorcycles.
When USSR ceased to exist, the factory began entering its downfall period. The shop selling Dnepr products, were closed over the whole country. Ultimately, Dnepr was forced to sell the production tools and plans to China.